The following is intended to be a living document to help guide our Facebook community. As we grow and change, so too will these articles. Please “Like” the post here to sign, all are invited to add suggestions to the comments. If a suggestion is well liked enough a vote will be held to amend these statements.
Galactic Hitchhikers Constitution
Galactic Hitchhikers is about Life, the Universe, and Everything. While we are of course the folk and frood of finer science-fiction, devotees of humor and satire, there is really never anything that isn’t relevant to share with this group. We are the world around us.
The most sacred institution is that of freedom of speech. We believe this at the core of what Galactic Hitchhikers is, so we’d never be want of banning anything outright, especially by the way of one set of opinions or another. Truly, is this not what politics is, different sets of opinions? We celebrate the differences of thought or opinion here, and in doing so celebrate that we are able to hold intelligent discourse in regards to those differences without insult or offense.
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.
If you choose to share your opinions about politics, religion, or sports, please do so with the patient understanding that not everyone will agree; and the due respect to your fellow frood and shipmate that is deserved. We ask, as with all you share with us, that your contributions to our community represent simply the best you have to offer. Share wisdom and hope, rather than ignorance or despair. Share humor and love, rather than anger or hate; Share the ride we’re all taking, and join together in being the way we want the world to be.
Share and Enjoy.
Never cruel or cowardly. Never give up, never give in. Each one of us on this hoopy haven has the responsibility to keep our community cool. It starts with kindness and compassion, and is vested in our mutual respect of one another. It blooms when we share our adventures and understanding, and blossoms into all of you. Yes, this planet is a rough place to live on; but you’ve got a lot of friends along for the ride. You know where your towel is.
Always be excellent to each other.
Galactic Hitchhikers Membership Rules 2016: To be amended and expanded upon as needed.
In all things, the best advice you’ll ever get
It’s a tough universe out there. If any of us are going to survive we have to know where our towels are, meaning we have to keep our proverbial shit together.
Pretty self-explanatory on this one we should think.
Galactic Hitchhikers is all inclusive, we welcome all who would return our kindness and friendship.
And party on, dudes
There is a fine art to takin it easy, and you should try it
In a universe, perhaps multiverse as complicated as we occupy the chances of finding out what’s actually going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say, “Hang the sense of it,” and keep yourself busy. Be humble, just because you think you know the answer doesn’t mean you know the question.
Articles and Amendments
Article One: Standards and Practices:
Regarding posts about politics, sports, or religion, and sharing to our community in general:
- “That’s just like, your opinion man.” Being all inclusive means here at Galactic Hitchhikers we know that everyone will not always agree. And this is okay. Being intelligent beings means we simply agree to disagree and go on with our day. It is just Facebook, after all.
- Our oldest mantra, “If it isn’t for you, then it might be for someone else.” If it isn’t for you, then just keep scrolling. There is plenty else here to love without getting caught on the bits you don’t care for. If you really can’t get over it, report the post to the Admins and patiently wait for moderation. We will always do our best in reaching a positive outcome, you have our word.
- The Galactic Hitchhikers Admins and Moderators are peacekeepers, not censors. We will although remove inflammatory or derogatory posts or comments if needed, as seen as the best interest for the common good. We are here to help. If you need moderation please contact any one of us any time. We’ll do our best to respond as quickly as we can.
- Our admins are in great communication with one another. We are a team of people who really care about everyone in our community, and we are dedicated to the common goal of adventure, excitement, really wild things, and doing whatever we can to make the ride better for all.
- If you don’t see enough of what you like around here, share more of what you like around here. We are what you are about. No free rides on this starship, everyone has to earn their keep.
- With all posts outside of fiction or satire that you post you owe the community the service of fact checking before you share with us. Shit is complicated enough without further muddying the whole affair with lies or misinformation. Truth should always prevail to the best of our knowledge.
- No slander, hate speech, or bigotry will be tolerated. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Kindness to all is our first mission, elsewise is a quick trip out the nearest airlock.
- If you simply must post in regards to politics, sports, or religion: all posts should be bi-partisan/pro-interfaith in nature, reflecting the best hopes for reality, or at least how we are all mutually screwed, rather than the views of one particular party/creed/belief or another.
- While posts about politics, sports, or religion are not necessarily encouraged, nor are they forbidden. We know that there will be world events we’ll want to talk about, we all have to work at our conversations being a comfort and strive towards unity, rather than letting our differences in opinion or belief divide us.
Article Two: Conflict Resolution
If you should have an issue you would like the admins to step into:
- All members have the right to call on Convention 15 of the Shadow Proclamation, invoking an immediate cessation of hostile actions in order to parley.
- All members are to respect the citation of Convention 15 of the Shadow Proclamation, and agree to seek mediation in the form of no less than two Galactic Hitchhikers Admins.
- All members agree to abide by the resolutions offered by the mediating Admins.
- If no resolution can be reached via mediation through Admins, the Editor in Chief (Zaxley Nash) may step in to either offer a final decision, or in matters of great importance or public interest put the matter to vote through a poll created for the group.
Article Three: The Whole Sort of General Mish Mash
Miscellaneous agreements and adages
- May 25th each year is Towel Day, the high hoopy holiday of the frood.
- The Towel Day Ambassador Contest is a sacred institution, and we honor each year’s Ambassador fully as a representative of both the Galactic Hitchhikers community and too the Hitchhiker’s Guide/Douglas Adams Fandom on the whole.
- There is no such thing as a former Towel Day Ambassador. Once elected they are always an Ambassador.
- All of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by print or film, audio recording, stage or holographic mind probe is the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Reality is frequently inaccurate, the Guide is always correct. The 2005 film is just as viable a part of our fandom as any other.
- We welcome ALL fandoms into our hoopy haven
- The dress was blue
- You are whoever you want to be when you are here. Real life, roleplay and just being generally fun have no division or separation lines to abide. Hence our very own Dale Who and The Galactic Philosopher known Lloyd T. Rich, aka “Time Lloyd” are in fact Time Lords. Zaxley Nash if from a small colony called New Betel in the Betelgeuse 7 system, and due to the myriad of intersecting multi-verses constantly intermingling we have enough room for dozens of Arthur Dents.