On the campaign trail with Michael Wilkin-Dalby
Eight entries in this year’s Towel Day Ambassador Contest, each more fantastic than the next. With Round One voting over, we turn our eyes to Round Two to find out who will make the grade and progress to the final round. Among the four froods hopeful to win the honor of the illustrious title, we have Towel Day Ambassador Contest candidate, Michael Wilkin-Dalby.
Galactic Hitchhikers reached out to Michael recently, and asked about his plans if he were to become our next Towel Day Ambassador.
"Mus musculi, dolphins, and human beings," Michael said, "lend me your auditory flesh bits."
“2020 was an annus horribilis (as Lizzy might say), and tested even the most introverted of hermits (who may or may not live in a shack). However, 2020 is behind us now and we look forward to rebuilding society in this festering dystopian wasteland we call Earth. We have an opportunity now. What kind of world do we want to live in?
If you vote for me to be your Towel Day Ambassador:
- I pledge myself to lobby for Towel Day to be a public holiday (a day off work) for every sentient frood in the world.
- I will push for The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy to be more widely recognized on Earth as the most important piece of work in the literary canon.
- The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe will be exempt from capacity limits at lunchtimes (despite them being an illusion).
- Most importantly, I will try to ensure that every person has free and fair access to a towel in the material of their choosing, i.e. No PPP, (Plebian Polyester Protocols).
- If you can donate just $327 a month to my campaign, I promise to email you every single day (begging for more money). Moreover, you will be entered into a competition to win a brand-new endocrine system! (Courtesy of our sponsors over at Hypoglymania).
Please vote for Michael Wilkin-Dalby.”
Round Two voting has started
Rengaw the Vogon, Lori, Michael, or Yvette, who will move forward to the next round? Which of these froods can show us where their towels are, and become the 2021 Towel Day Ambassador? Watch the videos below, and visit the Towel Day Ambassador Contest page on Facebook to cast your vote!
What is the Towel Day Ambassador Contest?
Each year since 2011 Hitchhiker fans and Douglas Adams fanatics vote to democratically decide on a representative for Earth as the Intergalactic Towel Day Ambassador. Contestants are asked to make a two minute YouTube video, explaining why they would be right for the job.
While the Contest is run independently by our friends over at the Towel Day Ambassador Contest page, here at Galactic Hitchhikers it’s one of our most sacred institutions. In our community there are no former Ambassadors, once elected they have the job for life.
While the real prize is the honor of representing our fandom, this year Galactic Hitchhikers is teaming up with ZZ9.org to provide some hoopy swag to this year’s new Ambassador. Read more here. Head over to the Towel Day Ambassador page on Facebook, Round Two of voted has already started, and hurry! Round Two voting ends on April 3rd.